In September 2011 I began to volunteer once a week at Utah Valley University’s George Sutherland Archives. Starting January 2012 I increased my hours from 8 to 16 a week going after work and on my free days. My volunteering is based on advice I received from a fellow Emporia State University alum in order to gain more experience. My hope was to be able to learn more about working in an archive, applying theory gained from my graduate studies, and learning software programs, creating finding aids, and working with EAD as well as becoming more practiced in digital archives.
From 2011 to 2014 I worked on small collections doing item level work. I processed the collections and/or created finding aids with Archivists’ Toolkit and edited EAD code using oXygen. Below are some of the physical collections I have worked on:
- Utah Valley University Department of Student Life collection of Michael Moore and Sean Hannity event materials
- Paxman collection of newspaper clippings related to the speaking engagement of Michael Moore at UVSC
- Karen F. Duncan collection of John F. Kennedy and Lyndon B. Johnson
- Richard Wunder peace activist collection
- Matthew S. Holland collection
- Utah Valley University Office of College Relations collection
- Utah Valley University Fire and Rescue Academy photograph collection
- Brian Fruits collection of deaf softball tournament materials
- Duane E. Jeffery collection of Carlyle B. and A. C. Lambert papers
- Department of Community and Continuing Education collection of Elderhostel materials
I have also had the opportunity to work on transcribing oral histories for a Utah Humanities Council grant funded project as well as working on copy cataloging MARC records for student project oral histories using Sirsi-Dynix Symphony software into Utah Valley University’s Online Public Access Catalog.
Currently I am working on rehousing items in the Highland City Library Special Collections and Manuscript Archives.